17th journey to Matara, Sri Lanka – Diary from 3rd – 23rd of July 2018
I’m sorry that I could not give daily reports when I spent this exciting time in Sri Lanka. So, here you find the entire diary. Pictures have been added to the German version. Please, press button “Deutsch” ( = German) here on the right side. Thanks for reading and appreciating our work and projects in Matara. Edeltrud Pinger, vice president of Neuwied-Matara-Friendship-Association.
July 3rd, 2018
Landing of Qatar Air in Colombo. But I’m the only one of the three of us in that aircraft, whereas the other two companions have to take a different plane some hours later – different travel agencies = different planes. That means: one transfer at night time and arrival at about 7.30 a.m. in Mirissa and the second one, along with a wonderful sunrise on the coast line, three and a half hours later. Impressed by that gorgeous scenery, they even forget to take a picture. So, let’s have a look at the impressive beach, still decorated by a German flag, ignoring the painful result for Germans in the World Championship! – ? But it turns out to be the yellow-red sea-watch-flag and a dark branch on top causing this optical illusion. (more…)
Journey No. 17 – Off for Sri Lanka again!
All my bags are packed and the next journey will start tomorrow morning. Clothes are not that heavy, but all those little parcels with gifts for scholarship students handed over to me by their German godparents. These gifts are meant to
be small, thin, not heavy,…but when there are about 25 of them, it’s quite a lot of kilos. Besides, there are those advertising specialties offered by V+R Bank Neuwied-Linz and Mrs. Seibt who is running a stationary’s shop and always donates some very nice bits and pieces, such like pens, rulers, erasers, etc. Students of Anura College will be very happy about these little gifts, because these are things they usually cannot afford. (more…)
Dance and media
(Please, see pictures in German version, pressing the button on the right side -> Deutsch)
There were two generous donations from Neuwied-Matara Friendship Association in June 2018. First, look at the new costumes for Anura dancing group with teacher Mrs. Lakshmi who trained the girls with effort and great energy. So, they were able to achieve a remarkable result and victory. The new costumes will certainly mean even more motivation for coming events.
Second, now Anura Vidyalaya can use a new projector, tablet and loudspeakers that were donated by German friends. It’s important for the school to have good equipment and use modern media. With regard to 125th aniversary, there will be celebrations and ceremonies, in the course of which the new devices will be particularly helpful. In the hot and humid climate, they must be well looked after and treated with care.
Big thanks go to all donors.
Obituary for a helpful friend – Swarna Navarathna
With great sadness we have to say good bye to Mrs. Swarna, sister of our manager Mr. Sagara Abegunewardene, and dear wife of our former Srilankan coordinator Mr. S. B. Navarathna. The picture was taken in the year 2012 in their house where Mrs. Swarna and her husband used to welcome guests from Germany who were visiting project schools in Matara. Mrs. Swarna always enjoyed inviting us to have lunch, tea and cake at their place and showed particular hospitality. (here: Mrs. Swarna, her husband, Mr. Sagara and vice president Mrs. Pinger)
We will keep her in mind with great appreciation and wish – with regard to her Buddhist belief – Nibbhana! May her husband and her sons feel comfort when thinking of her with love and thankfulness and may she rest in peace!
Good bye, Anna – we will miss you!
(See corresponding pictures in German version – Press “Deutsch” here on the right side.)
Last day for Anna at Anura College. What a pity! It’s so sad. Time flies.
Yesterday Anny could watch theory lessons in the dance and music room, but today a group of girls is demonstrating the art of dancing in a very impressive way. Fantastic! Those girls start early when they are talented and go on learning a lot, dancing in groups in traditional ceremonies, on weddings or other festivities. So, regular training and practical exercises are necessary, and it’s a big advantage to have excellent teachers. Anna wants to try and learn some steps and movements. Not that easy, when you are used to disco-fox, hip-hop, etc. But it is great fun, and anyway, Anna has a real sense of music and rhythm. (more…)
Multisided school life and big variety of facilities
(Please, find the corresponding pictures in the German version – press button on the right -> “Deutsch”
After finishing German classes, our German trainee Anna also enjoys getting insight into various activities at Anura College. The pictures published here may give you some impressions of school life. First step: designing and colouring table cloth in the home science room with the help of home science teacher Mrs. Tekla.
- Small groups studying in the science room together with their teacher, probably preparing A-level-exams in chemistry that will take place in August.
- Dancers studying in the music- and dance-room, not dancing actively but gaining some theoretical knowledge about rhythm and beat that can be put into graphs on the board by their dancing master. This music- and dance room has a wonderful big mirror which might not be so common in most schools.
- Isha, coordinating teacher and looking after our scholarship students (together with Mr. Wasantha) takes a little rest in the staff room.
- In front of the Pre-school, there is still some decoration left from the Vesakh-ceremonies that took place some time ago, one of the most important days for Buddhists.
- Inside the pre-school-classroom, young children are studying with joy and ambition. Good teachers applying the educational theory of Montessori and useful teaching material are the best preparation to succeed in Primary School later.
- German lessons in the library: a lot of students take part and are proud to learn another foreign language apart from English that might be as difficult for them as Singhalese language will be for us. Actually, it’s fun!
German lessons: talking about clothes and colours
Anna likes teaching a lot. And her students like her and are very active when reading, repeating, speaking German.
What’s on the agenda today? Introducing oneself, some numbers and colours. Useful items to make up some short dialogues, giving colours to different objects and clothes. Even different shades of blue, light blue and dark blue, can be applied. Well, school uniforms are all quite the same. But there are good ideas and imagination, and colours can be given to lots of other things. (more…)
German lessons to be continued – with Anna!
There are curious incidences from time to time. A friend of our association is looking for a traineeship for a friend of hers, possibly at a school in Sri Lanka. The young lady Anna has just passed her A-Levels successfully and is going to travel around the world. Why not start in Sri Lanka? First stop in Weligama. One of her friends has organized a booking at a guest house where she will stay during the first days. What’s app-messages help to contact members of the Neuwied-Matara-friendship-Association and teachers at Anura College, and there is Ridmi who spent three months in Germany end of last year. She can accompany Anna to her former school and introduce her….No problem, they agree, and Anna can start!
German „godparents“ visiting Anura College – big surprise for Malki!
Although there are school holidays because of the Singhalese and Tamil New Year’s celebrations, visitors from Germany arrived at school to meet their scholarship child, her mother and little brother.
Both sides seemed to be quite excited, but when meeting, there was relief and much happiness. Even two of the English teachers and the Venerable High Priest welcomed the guests.
Generous donations mean big support in different fields
The German text reports about three different charity projects that mean big help for students in general and paricular help in an individual case. You may have a look at the pictures in the German version:
– the new instrument “Sarpinawa”, which offers big help in music lessons for teachers and students
– the wood carving project at Rohana Special School that will last for one year and can help some of the handicapped deaf students to make their living in future,
– and a generous donation of a German sponsor to support an old girl of Anura College, whose mother suffers from cancer. This donation might help the family to pay for medicine and might enable the young girl to continue her studies. There was even a collection among Anura teachers who showed remarkable generosity to support their former student.